Saturday, May 7, 2022

Old Family Recipe: Soda Bread

This recipe was shared with me from my cousin Michelle.  We are cousins thru my paternal great grandmother Fannie Ryan Roberts.  Fannie was from Balin Rostig, County Cork, Ireland.  She immigrated in the late 1800's to Illinois following some of her Haggerty relatives.  She worked in the rectory of a Catholic church in Galesburg, Illinois.  Fanny was a devout Catholic.  I have one memory of her when I was maybe 3 years old and my mother and father took me for a visit to the old people's home she was living at in Davenport, Iowa.  She was stroking my hair and cooing to me as I sat next to her.  I felt nothing but love for her. Thank you dear cousin for sharing this priceless jewel with me.

PS: This is the note that details where the recipe came from: It was her Mum Teresa who showed her and yet her Gran Nell would have learned it also, from Kate who definitely made Soda Bread....(Kate Frances Somers Healy, Fanny's daughter.)...so it is truly a family recipe! Xxx



 

No comments:

Post a Comment