Friday, August 31, 2012

Easy Spanish Rice

Sorry no picture at this time.  My Caribbean Prince ate it all before I thought to get a picture.  I found this recipe on a blog and unfortunately can't provide you the link.  My dearest love wanted "Mexican Rice" like he enjoyed in a Tennessee restaurant, yes you read right, Tennessee.  After going to several Mexican places he was not finding it.  This gal who writes this blog is Hispanic and it is her own recipe.  It is good and flavorful with out spiciness.  The hardest part is grinding up the tomato and onion and then waiting for the fluid to drain out.  I used my hands to help it along.  Hope you try it.

Easy Spanish Rice
1½ cups long grain rice
½ of a small white onion
3 tomatoes
½ teaspoonful garlic powder
1 tablespoonful Caldo de pallo (powdered chicken flavored bouillon)
1 tablespoonful Canola Oil
 
Roughly chop tomatoes and onion and blend in a blender with ½ to ¾ cup water.  Strain and set aside.  Pulp could be frozen for soup or chili.  In a small frying pan heat oil on medium.  Stir in rice and fry until golden brown.  Stir constantly or it will burn and stink up your house...I would know.  Once the rice is golden add the tomato/onion fluid mixture.  Add water to make the liquid 2 times the amount of rice.  Add Caldo de pallo and the garlic.  Stir and taste.  If flavoring is off add more Caldo de pallo or salt.  Bring to a boil and cover and reduce heat to low.  Rice is done when liquid is evaporated.  I tasted mine and I had to add more water because it wasn't tender yet.
 
Don't tell the Professor you are making it or he will be over with fork in hand and napkin tucked in collar...okay not so much the napkin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment