Sunday, October 30, 2011

Date and Nut Bread



I loved the Jiffy Date Nut muffins and they  are no longer available.  Don't you just hate when that happens?  So when I was cruising through the Good Housekeeping Cookbook ©1963 for a good Banana Bread recipe and I spied this recipe with my own little eyes aided by my red framed no line bifocal glasses.  I had the dates, don't know why I originally bought them but the rest of the ingredients are always in my kitchen. I also used whole wheat flour (which I bought at My HyVee yesterday), just for grins.  I also made a little mini loaf in addition to the big loaf for my dear and sweetest Mom who never reads my blog. The bread is delicious, not overly sweet, I warmed it up with some butter on top and it is yummy!  I also sprinkled the top with some of my sugar glitter and it gave the top a nice crunchy top. I love this and will definitely make it again.


Date and Nut Bread
¾ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup cut-up pitted dates
1½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3T shortening
¾ cup boiling water
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1½ cups sifted all purpose flour


With a fork, mix walnuts, dates, baking soda and salt.  Add shortening and boiling water, let stand 20 minutes.  Start heating oven at 350°. Grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.  With a fork, beat the eggs and add vanilla, sugar and sifted flour.  Mix in date mixture until just blended, turn into the pan.  Bake 65 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.  Then wrap in foil.  Store overnight before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment